Teeth whitening is one of the most popular and sought cosmetic dentistry procedures available. Everyone has considered whitening their teeth at some point in their lives because it’s the quickest and easiest way to whiten your teeth and improve your smile.
At Yorktown Dental Spa, we offer a wide range of different teeth whitening procedures, including at-home teeth whitening dental strips and professional teeth whitening. Please continue reading to find out more about teeth whitening at Yorktown Dental Spa.
Causes of Teeth Discoloration
Before we discuss teeth whitening, it’s important to briefly discuss why your teeth appear discolored in the first place.
Your teeth may appear yellowed or discolored for a wide range of reasons, some of which can be treated with professional teeth whitening. The following are some of the most common causes of discoloration:
- Over time, your enamel wears away with age. This reveals the underlying dentin layer, which makes your teeth appear yellow.
- Some people have intrinsically yellowed or stained teeth from childhood or birth — this form of discoloration can’t be treated with regular teeth whitening.
- Most people have yellowed teeth because of surface stains on the enamel. Habits like smoking or drinking beverages like tea and coffee eventually lead to tooth coloration because the stains cling to the surface of the enamel.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
The following are some of the primary benefits of professional teeth whitening.
- Customization: The dentist will examine your teeth to determine the right teeth whitening solution for your specific needs. If you want at-home whitening, they’ll create customized dental trays and offer the best teeth whitening products.
- Safety: You should avoid buying whitening products from the market because there are a lot of harmful and toxic substances out there. They may erode your enamel or harm your gums. A professional dentist, however, will use the best teeth whitening products available.
- Sensitivity: You may experience a little sensitivity after professional teeth whitening — but the dentist will be able to manage that and offer medications or tips to minimize the sensitivity.
- Quick Results: Over-the-counter dental whitening products either don’t work at all or they take weeks or months to make a considerable difference. However, professional teeth whitening can brighten your teeth by up to 7 shades within an hour.
- Longevity: At-Home whitening strips don’t last long and you have to get your teeth whitened frequently. Professional teeth whitening brightens your smile for several months at least.
Types of Teeth Whitening Dentist Treatment
When you go to the dentist, they will examine your teeth, take an impression of your teeth, record the shade, and determine the root cause of your discoloration. Once they have that information, they will proceed with the treatment.
This is a procedure in which the dentist will apply a hydrogen peroxide whitening gel to the surface of your teeth and have you leave it on for a few minutes. This whitening gel will remove the surface stains from your teeth and brighten your smile.
Laser Teeth Whitening
This is a procedure in which the dentist will apply the whitening gel to your teeth and activate it using laser energy. This will activate the whitening gel so it works faster — the dentist will also place a dental dam to prevent the laser light from affecting your gums. This procedure works even faster and generates better results.
Non-Vital Teeth Whitening
This is a type of teeth whitening that’s performed on a tooth that has undergone a root canal treatment. If you’ve had a root canal, the discoloration may stem from within the tooth. In that case, the dentist will apply the whitening gel inside the hollowed tooth and place a temporary filling over it for a week. After a week, the dentist will remove the filling to reveal a brighter tooth.
One of the best dentists in town! Highly recommend place for any dental treatments. Dr.Chung takes care of the patient very well and addresses the patient’s concerns. Very friendly staff and environment!
Doctor Chung is very good at what she does. She is very gentle and careful when working on her patients. Dr. Chung is very caring and she will always make sure you are comfortable in her practice.
Dr. Chung and her staff are excellent and make the entire process feel easy and comfortable. The office is also very clean and well maintained. Highly recommend!
Dr. Chung is incredible! I have gotten my wisdom teeth removed from her and she made the entire process go so smoothly! I highly recommend paying a visit to her!
Highly recommended! This was one of the best dental experiences I have had! Dr. Chung was so nice and professional. The office was super cute and clean as well.
Had my son’s teeth cleaned this Friday and cannot be more impressed by the results. Dr. Chung was so kind to him, explained everything happening and perfect results. I would highly recommend her!
Definitely Recommend!!! Dr. Chung is the best dentist i have met in Houston. She is really careful and makes sure you’re comfortable. Fantastic results , great staff and great location. You can’t go wrong here.
Teeth Whitening Q&A
Is there a way to whiten sensitive teeth with less pain?
Professional teeth whitening is a completely painless procedure. If you do have sensitive teeth, you must inform your dentist before the procedure so they can determine if or how to proceed with teeth whitening procedure. You must avoid using over-the-counter teeth whitening products because a lot of them can irritate your gums or include harmful chemicals.
How to reduce the tooth sensitivity after whitening?
The following tips will help you reduce tooth sensitivity after the whitening procedure:
- For the next 48 hours after the treatment, use a dentist-prescribed toothpaste or gel that reduces sensitivity.
- Brush your teeth gently using a soft-bristled brush and lukewarm water instead of cold water.
- Avoid drinking either hot or cold drinks for a few days.
- If you drink something, sip through a straw so it doesn’t wash over your teeth.
What are the best and safe methods of tooth whitening?
The best and safest methods of tooth whitening are those provided by professional dentists. Vital teeth whitening is suitable for regular teeth and non-vital teeth whitening is suitable for teeth that have undergone a root canal. Professional teeth whitening also uses laser energy to bleach the surface stains of your teeth.
One of the Best Professional Teeth Whitening Near Me
Yorktown Dental Spa is one of the best professional teeth whitening clinics in Houston, TX. Our dentists carefully identify the root cause of your teeth’s discoloration and treat it accordingly. If you have intrinsically stained teeth, we also offer advice on the ideal cosmetic dentistry solution for you. For more information, please schedule professional teeth whitening near me.