Gum Disease is an extremely common dental condition in which your teeth and gums get infected by bacteria, which leads to dental decay and issues like bad breath, toothaches, bleeding gums, and gum recession. This is a chronic issue that gets worse over time so you must treat it promptly.
At Yorktown Dental Spa, we identify the root cause of gum disease and treat it effectively to restore your and your family’s oral health. Please continue reading for a detailed discussion of the causes, symptoms, and treatment of gum disease at Yorktown Dental Spa.
Causes of Gum Disease
Gum disease may happen because of a variety of factors such as your diet, poor oral hygiene, or refusal to go for dental cleaning sessions. However, the common denominator here is that all of these factors lead to the accumulation of bacteria, which directly leads to gum disease.
No matter how well you brush and floss your teeth regularly, you can never get rid of all the microparticles of food stuck between your teeth and under the gum line. These accumulated food particles may eventually turn into a white sticky substance called plaque, which will harden into a substance called tartar. The accumulation of plaque and tartar leads to bacterial infection, which eventually leads to gum disease.
Initially, the bacterial infection will only affect the surface of your gums and teeth. It will affect your enamel and dentin layers, which will lead to the formation of cavities. However, as it continues spreading, it will affect your pulp chamber, which will necessitate a root canal. It will also deepen the pockets of space between your gums and teeth, which will lead to a rapid progression of gum disease and periodontitis.
Prevention is generally better than cure. You can prevent gum disease from occurring by going for regular deep dental cleaning sessions. During these sessions, the dentist will use a special tool to remove all of the accumulated plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums, which will prevent a bacterial infection from occurring.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
These are the primary symptoms of gum disease:
- Inflamed and reddened gums.
- Sensitive gums that bleed frequently, especially while brushing.
- Persistent bad breath, even after you brush your teeth. This is an indication that the bacteria in your mouth are releasing toxins after consuming the plaque and tartar.
- Gum recession caused by the bacteria depending on the spaces between your gums and teeth.
- Heightened sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures.
- Thinning enamel.
- Formation of cavities.
Treatment of Gum Disease
The following are the steps involved in gum disease treatment:
- During the initial consultation, the dentist will visually inspect your teeth and run a digital x-ray to identify the spread of gum disease.
- The dentist will remove all of the accumulated plaque and tartar from your teeth using a scaler device.
- If you have periodontitis and are suffering from gum recession, the dentist will remove the plaque and tartar from your gum line and smoothen the tooth’s root. Over time, your gums will naturally heat and tighten around your tooth again.
- The dentist will brush and floss your teeth again to make sure all traces of plaque and tartar are removed.
- You’ll rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash to get rid of the bacteria.
One of the best dentists in town! Highly recommend place for any dental treatments. Dr.Chung takes care of the patient very well and addresses the patient’s concerns. Very friendly staff and environment!
Doctor Chung is very good at what she does. She is very gentle and careful when working on her patients. Dr. Chung is very caring and she will always make sure you are comfortable in her practice.
Dr. Chung and her staff are excellent and make the entire process feel easy and comfortable. The office is also very clean and well maintained. Highly recommend!
Dr. Chung is incredible! I have gotten my wisdom teeth removed from her and she made the entire process go so smoothly! I highly recommend paying a visit to her!
Highly recommended! This was one of the best dental experiences I have had! Dr. Chung was so nice and professional. The office was super cute and clean as well.
Had my son’s teeth cleaned this Friday and cannot be more impressed by the results. Dr. Chung was so kind to him, explained everything happening and perfect results. I would highly recommend her!
Definitely Recommend!!! Dr. Chung is the best dentist i have met in Houston. She is really careful and makes sure you’re comfortable. Fantastic results , great staff and great location. You can’t go wrong here.
Gum Disease Q&A
Can children get gum disease?
Children are highly likely to get gum disease because they’re generally not diligent with their oral hygiene. They’re also more likely to indulge in sweets and candies that can lead to bacterial infection and dental decay. That’s why it’s crucial to take children for regular dental cleaning appointments so they may avoid gum disease.
Is gum disease contagious?
Gum disease is caused by an inflammatory reaction to the presence of bacteria so it’s not communicable or contagious. However, while gum disease can’t be spread to other people, the bacteria causing gum disease can be spread through saliva. That’s why you should avoid sharing utensils and food with people who have gum disease.
How to prevent gum disease?
You can prevent gum disease with proper oral hygiene:
- Brush your teeth regularly.
- Floss carefully and remove all food particles stuck between your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Go for regular deep dental cleaning appointments.
Schedule your Gum Disease Treatment
At Yorktown Dental Spa, we look for signs of gum disease and carefully evaluate the condition of your teeth before providing gum disease treatments. We also provide regular dental cleaning so you can avoid gum disease altogether. For more information, please schedule your gum disease treatment today.