Tooth Colored Fillings
Tooth colored fillings are materials used to fill up the gaps, cavities, or cracks in your tooth, either caused by dental injury or dental decay. You may suffer from tooth decay for several reasons — bacterial infection, poor oral hygiene, etc. The decay leads to the formation of cavities, which eventually grow in size and seriousness. If you don’t fill up your cavities, you may eventually need root canals or even tooth extraction as the decay spreads to your tooth’s roots.
Tooth-colored fillings are white materials generally have the same texture as actual teeth and enamel. As such, they’re suitable fillings for your teeth and they’re not very visible to outsiders. Please continue reading for a detailed discussion of the tooth colored fillings procedure at Yorktown Dental Spa.
Reasons to Get Dental Fillings
The following are some of the main reasons you need to get dental fillings promptly.
- Cavities: In most cases, you can’t even feel cavities and they don’t seem like serious issues. But if you let them grow, they’ll infect your pulp chamber and you may need a root canal or even tooth extraction. As such, dental fillings are necessary to fill up cavities.
- Cracks: If you have some small holes or cracks in your teeth, you should get them filled. If these holes aren’t filled, they may lead to plaque and tartar accumulation and become hotbeds of bacterial infection, which will lead to dental decay.
- Discoloration: If you have discolored teeth because of the consumption of beverages and natural staining of your enamel, you can even consider fillings to make your teeth appear whiter.
- Support: The loss of tooth structure over the years weakens your teeth. With dental fillings, you can strengthen your teeth and increase support again.
Types of Tooth Colored Fillings
There are various types of dental fillings available based on the material used. You get dental fillings made of gold, silver amalgam, composite resin, glass ionomer, porcelain, and even plastic. However, most of these fillings are highly visible or they get stained or discolored easily, so they’re not suitable as tooth-colored fillings. The following are the best tooth colored fillings available.
Tooth Colored Fillings Procedure
The entire procedure to get dental fillings is extremely simple and minimally-invasive with no pain or discomfort. The following are the steps involved:
- Local anesthesia is used to numb the area around the tooth before filling.
- The decayed part of the tooth is removed with an air abrasion instrument or drill. The dentist decides which instrument to use based on the location and condition of your teeth.
- The dentist removes all of the decay from the tooth.
- The dentist cleans the cavity and gets rid of all the bacteria and disease. In case, the bacterial decay has spread to the root, they’ll place a glass ionomer liner as a protective measure.
- The dentist starts applying the tooth colored filling in layers and a special laser light is used to harden the filling.
- Finally, the dentist makes adjustments and polishes the filling to smoothen it.
One of the best dentists in town! Highly recommend place for any dental treatments. Dr.Chung takes care of the patient very well and addresses the patient’s concerns. Very friendly staff and environment!
Doctor Chung is very good at what she does. She is very gentle and careful when working on her patients. Dr. Chung is very caring and she will always make sure you are comfortable in her practice.
Dr. Chung and her staff are excellent and make the entire process feel easy and comfortable. The office is also very clean and well maintained. Highly recommend!
Dr. Chung is incredible! I have gotten my wisdom teeth removed from her and she made the entire process go so smoothly! I highly recommend paying a visit to her!
Highly recommended! This was one of the best dental experiences I have had! Dr. Chung was so nice and professional. The office was super cute and clean as well.
Had my son’s teeth cleaned this Friday and cannot be more impressed by the results. Dr. Chung was so kind to him, explained everything happening and perfect results. I would highly recommend her!
Definitely Recommend!!! Dr. Chung is the best dentist i have met in Houston. She is really careful and makes sure you’re comfortable. Fantastic results , great staff and great location. You can’t go wrong here.
Tooth Colored Fillings Q&A
How are cavity fillings done between teeth?
If you have a cavity between teeth, the surrounding teeth will be drilled to remove the cavity and the empty area will be filled with dental filling materials.
How long do dental fillings last?
The longevity of the dental filling depends on the material used. Gold fillings generally last between 15 to 30 years, silver amalgam fillings last between 10 to 15 years, and composite resin fillings last between 5 to 7 years.
How much should a dental filling cost?
The cost of a single dental filling ranges from $110 to $240, depending on several factors including the material. Porcelain fillings generally cost between $250 and $4,500. However, if you have dental insurance, you may not have to bear the entire cost of dental fillings.
Which filling is best for teeth?
Composite resin and porcelain are the best materials for tooth fillings because they’re tooth-colored, have the same texture as enamel, and they’re durable.
What does it mean if a dental filling turns black?
If your dental filling turns black, you may have a silver amalgam filling. Over time, the silver amalgam reacts with the environment and gets oxidized, which makes it corrode and turn black. If that’s the case, you should get your dental fillings replaced.